Ajax starlet Frenkie de Jong admits he considered Tottenham move before opting for £65million Barcelona switch
Ajax star Frenkie de Jong ‘considered’ an offer to join Tottenham ‘long and hard’ last summer.
The 21-year-old will officially join Barcelona in July after agreeing a £65million move earlier this year.
De Jong was targeted by Spurs, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City before choosing Barcelona in January.
And the Netherlands midfielder has admitted he could have been a Tottenham player before the start of the 2018/19 season.
He told FourFourTwo: “The moment wasn’t right. I wasn’t finished at Ajax, as I hadn’t yet played a full season in my own position.
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here’s what’s coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Accrington Stanley vs Sunderland (Wednesday 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Southampton vs Liverpool (Friday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Norwich vs QPR (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Huddersfield vs Leicester (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Manchester City vs Brighton (Saturday, 5:30pm)
- Coventry vs Bristol Rovers (Sunday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Watford vs Wolves (Sunday, 4pm) – talkSPORT
“I was also injured in that period, so I was thinking, ‘Not yet’. I felt I should stay for another year at Ajax, or perhaps longer.
“I considered their [Spurs’] offer long and hard. I see Tottenham as a very stable club, and they are only getting better.
“They give young players a chance and I see Mauricio Pochettino as a manager who really improves young players.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
“I like the kind of football they are playing. I think it would have suited my game.”
De Jong will be aiming to go out on a high with Ajax in the Champions League.
After knocking out holders Real Madrid, Juventus await in the last eight of the competition for the Dutch champions.
Source: SportsLatest TS