Anthony Joshua next fight: Eddie Hearn blasts ‘s*** scared’ Luis Ortiz after Cuban’s team admit they ‘f***ed up’ chance to face AJ on June 1
Anthony Joshua will not be fighting Luis Ortiz in his US debut on June 1.
The Brit is close to ending his search for a replacement opponent – with Andy Ruiz Jr and Michael Hunter the most likely – after Jarrell Miller was ruled out having failed three drugs tests.
When the news initially broke, AJ’s promoter Eddie Hearn declared that their first choice replacement would be Cuba’s Ortiz.
However, a couple of days later, his manager Jay Jimenez put out a statement to insist the bout wasn’t happening because Hearn had made ‘lowball offers.’
After seeing this, the Matchroom Boxing boss reacted angrily and said he would ‘expose’ Ortiz’s team by publicly revealing the numbers once Joshua’s next fight had been announced.
It turned out that this would not be necessary, as Jimenez then did an about turn and accepted responsibility for the fight not happening, while also blaming their own promoter – Jorge Carmenate of Dade Promotions.
“I think I jumped the gun when I called it a lowball offer,” Luis Ortiz’s manager told ThaBoxingVoice.
“It is our promoter that is lowballing him. He was trying to pull more money for Luis and for the team.
“Luis said if you want to throw $5million in my bank I’m ready. But he [the promoter] said ‘I’ll get you more.’
“We were all gassed up and they kept promising us more, but he f***ed up. It’s an ego thing.”
When asked whose fault it was that the fight isn’t happening, Jay Jimenez replied: “It’s our fault, all day. It’s our fault.”
Upon hearing the shock retraction, Eddie Hearn blasted Luis Ortiz and his team while in discussion with a group of reporters.
“I told you I was gonna expose them next week, then they’ve come out and gone, ‘Oh actually it was our fault.’
“You’ll see next week, but they’re gonna go into hiding for a few days…
LATEST BOXING NEWS
“I’m sick and tired of people trying to pretend Anthony Joshua is ducking fights when these guys are the ones that are s*** scared of Anthony Joshua…
“Joshua would destroy Luis Ortiz. Three rounds, no problem.
“If Luis Ortiz wants to do it after June 1, we’ll sign a contract to do that as well.”
Source: SportsLatest TS