Celtic news: Ryan Christie suffered multiple facial fractures against Aberdeen and will undergo surgery, club confirm
Celtic midfielder Ryan Christie will require surgery after suffering multiple facial fractures in a horror collision with Aberdeen’s Dominic Ball, the Scottish champions have confirmed.
Christie, 24, was rushed to hospital in a neck brace after the sickening clash of heads during the Hoops’ 3-0 Scottish Cup semi-final victory at Hampden Park on Sunday.
His former Aberdeen team-mate, Ball, was shown a second yellow card and sent off for the foul.
A Celtic statement said: “Celtic Football Club can confirm that Ryan Christie has suffered multiple facial fractures following the incident during Sunday’s Scottish Cup semi-final at Hampden.
“Ryan is scheduled to undergo surgery on Thursday of this week. We are not able at this stage to give any specific indication on a timescale for his return to action but, of course, everyone at Celtic wishes Ryan all the best for his full recovery.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
“Ryan would also like to thank everyone sincerely for the many wishes of support he has received.”
Christie revealed the damage to his face on Instagram by sharing a picture of a nasty black eye and swelling on the side of his face.
The Scotland youth international was in a light-hearted mood, however, describing himself as a ‘full-kit w*nker’.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here’s what’s coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Barcelona vs Manchester United (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Juventus vs Ajax (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Porto vs Liverpool (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Napoli vs Arsenal (Thursday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sheffield United vs Nottingham Forest (Friday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leeds vs Wigan (Friday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sunderland vs Doncaster (Friday, 5:15pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Norwich vs Sheffield Wednesday (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Newcastle vs Southampton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Accrington Stanley vs Luton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Everton vs Manchester United (Sunday, 1:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Cardiff vs Liverpool (Sunday, 4pm) – talkSPORT
Meanwhile, Celtic manager Neil Lennon expects the midfielder to be fit for the Scottish Cup final against Hearts on May 25.
“It was a horrendous coming together and I don’t think there was any deliberation over it. It was a definite second yellow,” he told BBC Scotland.
Source: SportsLatest TS