Championship: How many minutes have the likes of Leeds United and Aston Villa given to youngsters this season?
When promotion is at stake, the chance to make it into the play-off places or avoid relegation, clubs may feel giving young players a chance in the first team is too much of a risk.
Established stars or big money signings will take priority and rightly so, especially when there is so much to play for.
The saying is if you are good enough you are old enough and there are enough players in the Championship this season that have proved that to be true.
On-loan Chelsea defender Reece James has played 44 times for Wigan Athletic and only missed 77 minutes, earning himself a place in the Team of the Year.
The 19-year-old is being tipped for a first-team role at Stamford Bridge when he returns.
Dean Henderson, still only 22, has not missed a single minute of action for Sheffield United and his 20 clean sheets have helped the Blades go second.
talkSPORT.com has taken a look at which sides in the Championship have given the most minutes to players aged 23 and under this season.
Middlesbrough owner fails in bid to force review of Championship clubs’ finances
Frank Lampard charged with misconduct by Football Association
Norwich and Leeds each have three players in PFA Championship Team of the Year
Football’s biggest local derbies ranked by passion and ferocity
What those in the know say about the Chelsea loanee likened to Kyle Walker
ON A ROLL
Where does Aston Villa’s 10-game winning streak rank in second tier history?
NOT ALL WHITE
How Leeds’ dreadful April record is threatening to ruin another season
Bielsa gives damning verdict on Leeds’ automatic promotion hopes after sorry weekend
24. Bolton Wanderers – 4687 minutes
23. Stoke City – 4758 minutes
22. Sheffield United – 4826 minutes
21. Middlesbrough – 6607 minutes
20. Millwall – 6980 minutes
19. Birmingham – 7108 minutes
18. West Brom – 7872 minutes
17. Sheffield Wednesday – 8078 minutes
16. Nottingham Forest – 8183 minutes
15. QPR- 8586 minutes
14. Rotherham – 8653 minutes
13. Hull City – 10,729 minutes
12. Leeds United – 11,306 minutes
11. Ipswich Town – 12,031 minutes
10. Aston Villa – 12,838 minutes
9. Wigan – 13,144 minutes
8. Norwich – 13,679 minutes
7. Derby County – 14,015 minutes
6. Reading – 15,094 minutes
5. Blackburn Rovers – 15,245 minutes
4. Bristol City – 15,464 minutes
3. Preston – 18,051 minutes
2. Brentford – 19,390 minutes
1. Swansea City – 23,448 minutes
Source: SportsLatest TS