Chelsea news: Glenn Hoddle explains why Blues desperately miss John Terry after second-half collapse against Slavia Prague
Glenn Hoddle has claimed Chelsea lack leaders after their second-half stutter against Slavia Prague in the Europa League.
The Blues booked their place in the semi-finals with a 4-3 victory at Stamford Bridge on Thursday night, giving them a seemingly comfortable 5-3 win on aggregate – although it was anything but.
Suddenly, anxiety spread throughout Stamford Bridge as the Blues defence continued to shake, with Slavia just two goals away from dumping Chelsea out.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
And Hoddle, speaking to BT Sport, claims it never would’ve happened if former Chelsea captain John Terry was on the pitch.
“They can’t get 90 minutes’ consistency, you can’t dictate 90 minutes anyway but they do switch off, almost as if, ‘We’re too good for this team, I don’t need to get on the cover’, he said.
“It’s complacency a little bit and they need a leader out there that’s not going to let that happen. John Terry, in that team tonight, that wouldn’t have happened second half.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here’s what’s coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Sheffield United vs Nottingham Forest (Friday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leeds vs Wigan (Friday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sunderland vs Doncaster (Friday, 5:15pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Norwich vs Sheffield Wednesday (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Newcastle vs Southampton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Accrington Stanley vs Luton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Everton vs Manchester United (Sunday, 1:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Cardiff vs Liverpool (Sunday, 4pm) – talkSPORT
“They haven’t got many leaders there that can identify and put it right and say, ‘Let’s put it right’.
“You could smell it happening, your opponents are getting more of the ball, throwing people forward, you need to nullify that and someone needs to identify that.”
Chelsea’s official club captain Gary Cahill has been frozen out under Sarri, with Cesar Azpilicueta occupying the armband for most of the season.
Source: SportsLatest TS