Liverpool 2-0 Chelsea: Merseyside Police investigate after flare thrown into Chelsea section with nine-year-old fan needing treatment
Merseyside Police are investigating an incident where a flare was thrown during Liverpool’s match with Chelsea at Anfield on Sunday.
The flare was thrown from the upper tier of the Anfield Road End and into the Chelsea section just after Sadio Mane’s opener.
A nine-year old boy required medical treatment after the object was thrown.
“The incident was reported to us at 5.40pm, shortly after LFC scored their first goal, that a flare was thrown from the upper section of the Anfield Stand,” said a Merseyside Police statement.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here’s what’s coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Barcelona vs Manchester United (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Juventus vs Ajax (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Porto vs Liverpool (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Napoli vs Arsenal (Thursday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sheffield United vs Nottingham Forest (Friday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leeds vs Wigan (Friday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sunderland vs Doncaster (Friday, 5:15pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Norwich vs Sheffield Wednesday (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Newcastle vs Southampton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Accrington Stanley vs Luton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Everton vs Manchester United (Sunday, 1:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Cardiff vs Liverpool (Sunday, 4pm) – talkSPORT
“Following this, at around 6.20pm, officers received reports that a young Chelsea fan, believed to be nine years old, had been taken to the first aid centre where he was treated by St Johns Ambulance staff after suffering a panic attack as a result of the flare.
“At this stage, it is not clear who threw the flare, however investigations are ongoing and police are urging anyone with information to come forward quoting log 322 of April 14.”
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
Liverpool went on to win the match 2-0 and returned to the top of the Premier League.
Mohamed Salah scored the second two minutes after Mane’s opener in the 51st minute.
Source: SportsLatest TS