Liverpool news: Jamie Carragher says Sadio Mane is reason for Reds’ rise to success… not Van Dijk or Salah
Everyone may be lauding Virgil van Dijk and Mohamed Salah for restoring Liverpool to their former glories, but Jamie Carragher says a different player is behind the Reds’ rise to success.
Jurgen Klopp’s side are going head-to-head with Manchester City for the Premier League title, though Liverpool’s chance of winning their first league championship in 29 years is out of their hands.
The Reds also remain in the hunt for a sixth European Cup, and they are odds-on to reach the Champions League semi-finals having beaten Porto 2-0 in the first leg of their quarter-final clash last week.
Liverpool reached the Champions League final last season, a feat which marked a remarkable return to Europe’s top table for a club that became used to mediocrity before Klopp’s arrival.
The German has been credited with turning the club’s fortunes around, by introducing an electric brand of football and signing top class players throughout his tenure.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
The likes of Mohamed Salah, the forward, Virgil van Dijk, the defender, and goalkeeper Alisson have all been brought to Anfield by Klopp and played their part in firing Liverpool to the brink of silverware.
But it is a different player who should take the credit for Liverpool’s resurgence, according to Carragher.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here’s what’s coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Barcelona vs Manchester United (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Juventus vs Ajax (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Porto vs Liverpool (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Napoli vs Arsenal (Thursday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sheffield United vs Nottingham Forest (Friday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leeds vs Wigan (Friday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sunderland vs Doncaster (Friday, 5:15pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Norwich vs Sheffield Wednesday (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Newcastle vs Southampton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Accrington Stanley vs Luton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Everton vs Manchester United (Sunday, 1:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Cardiff vs Liverpool (Sunday, 4pm) – talkSPORT
He said: “People talk about Jurgen Klopp and the signing of Salah, which has been unbelievable, and Van Dijk but Mane was the one that got Liverpool back up there.
“He was Klopp’s first big signing and he was the one that got Liverpool back into the top four, the next season was the Champions League final and this season is challenging for the title. He is the one that has been there from the very start.”
When asked which player he’d prefer Liverpool lost for the run in, if they had to, Carragher replied: “Salah. They’ve got the same amount of goals and I’m a massive fan of Mane.”
Mane has enjoyed his most prolific Liverpool season to date in 2018/19, scoring 21 goals in all competitions – a rate of one goal every two games – to send the Reds within touching distance of the Premier League trophy.
Source: Prem News