Liverpool thank Chelsea for Hillsborough tribute, condemn Reds fans over offensive behaviour
Liverpool have issued a statement condemning a section of their support for their behaviour during the 2-0 victory over Chelsea on Sunday.
A flare was thrown into the away end, striking a nine-year old child, and homophobic chants were also directed at the travelling fans.
The child had to receive medical treatment following a panic attack and police are still trying to identify the culprit.
Liverpool, who were marking the 30th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster, warned fans over the homophobic chants and pledged to ban any person found to have thrown the flare.
A club statement read: “As ever, the overwhelming majority of those present at Anfield ensured the occasion was a fitting tribute. Regrettably however, a smoke device was thrown into the away section during the second half and we are actively working with Merseyside Police to investigate the matter. Any person found to have committed this offence will be banned from our ground.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
“The club is also concerned about a chant from some of our fans, specifically referencing Chelsea, as inappropriate and offensive. We would urge all Liverpool supporters to respect each other and stop such chants as they do not reflect the inclusivity that the club stands for.
“As a proud member of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions programme, we are committed to LGBT equality across all areas of the Club and have contacted them and our own affiliated LBGT group Kop Outs for further support.”
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here’s what’s coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Barcelona vs Manchester United (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Juventus vs Ajax (Tuesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Porto vs Liverpool (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Napoli vs Arsenal (Thursday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sheffield United vs Nottingham Forest (Friday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leeds vs Wigan (Friday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sunderland vs Doncaster (Friday, 5:15pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Norwich vs Sheffield Wednesday (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Newcastle vs Southampton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Accrington Stanley vs Luton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Everton vs Manchester United (Sunday, 1:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Cardiff vs Liverpool (Sunday, 4pm) – talkSPORT
Liverpool also expressed their gratitude to Chelsea, who paid a classy tribute to the 96 victims of the Hillsborough disaster during their visit.
“Liverpool Football Club would like to thank the players, staff, officials and supporters of Chelsea for their compassionate marking of the Hillsborough Anniversary during our fixture at the weekend,” the statement added.
Source: SportsLatest TS