Liverpool vs Arsenal: Premier League match preview, team news, manager quotes and likely line-ups
Liverpool will hope to continue their outstanding Premier League season and maintain – or increase – their six-point lead at the top when they face Arsenal on Saturday LIVE on talkSPORT.
Jurgen Klopp’s side are unbeaten in their last seven matches against the Gunners and have not tasted defeat in their last 30 leagues at home.
In their most recent matches, Liverpool beat struggling Newcastle United 4-0, while Arsenal were held to a 1-1 draw at Brighton & Hove Albion.
In the reverse fixture last season, Liverpool were dominant as they beat the Gunners 4-0 in August 2017.
What the managers are saying
Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool): “They are strong, good with the ball and very lively. Their counter-attacks are crazy quick – Aubameyang and Lacazette are an outstanding striker couple up front. It will be difficult.”
Unai Emery (Arsenal): “They created this team. I remember three years ago they had a problem in their defensive moments and bought some people – for example Virgil van Dijk – with a good investment and the result is we are looking today at their progress. They are a very big team.”
Liverpool could opt to freshen up their side, with Fabinho and Naby Keita among those in line for a recall to the starting line-up.
James Milner will miss out with a minor muscular injury,
Arsenal again remain short of defensive options, with Hector Bellerin, Konstantinos Mavropanos and Rob Holding all ruled out.
Shkodran Mustafi is nearing a return from a hamstring injury but this match is likely to come too soon, while captain Laurent Koscielny should be fine despite suffering a minor foot issue in the draw at the Amex Stadium.
Liverpool: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Shaqiri, Salah, Firmino, Mane.
Arsenal: Leno, Lichtsteiner, Sokratis, Koscielny, Kolasinac, Torreira, Xhaka, Guendouzi, Ozil, Lacazette, Aubameyang.
- This will be the 227th meeting between these two teams in all competitions, with Liverpool winning 86 times to Arsenal’s 79 (61 draws).
- Arsenal are without a win in their last five trips to Anfield to face Liverpool in the Premier League (D2 L3), conceding two or more goals in each match (17 in total).
- Liverpool have gone seven games unbeaten against Arsenal in all competitions (W3 D4) – they last embarked upon a longer such run in February 2000 (14 games).
- There have been 149 goals in Premier League matches between Liverpool and Arsenal – only four fixtures have reached 150+ goals in the competition (Arsenal/Everton, Liverpool/Spurs, Chelsea/Spurs and Arsenal/Spurs).
- Arsenal have scored more goals from outside the box than any other Premier League side this season (9), while Liverpool are the only team yet to concede such a goal in 2018-19.
- Arsenal have won just one of their last 12 Premier League away games against sides starting the day top of the table (2-1 vs Chelsea in November 2008), losing the last six in a row by an aggregate score of 2-17.
- Liverpool have conceded just seven goals in their 19 Premier League games this season, and a clean sheet here will see a record for fewest goals conceded after 20 English top-flight games.
- Liverpool are unbeaten in 30 Premier League home games, their longest such run since a run of 31 between December 2007 and August 2009.
Source: SportsLatest TS