Liverpool vs Porto: Reds coach Pepijn Lijnders explains why only club who would have wanted to draw Liverpool were Porto
Reds first-team coach Lijnders explained that the Portuguese side would want to go again against the side who beat them 5-0 in February 2018.
Sadio Mane scored a hat-trick during that match as Liverpool eased to a comfortable victory in last season’s Champions League round of 16.
Lijnders was a youth coach at Porto from 2007 to 2014 and understands the mentality of the club and why they would want to face the Merseyside club again.
He moved to Liverpool in 2014 to work under Brendan Rodgers, and later Jurgen Klopp.
The first-team coach left in January 2018 to manage Dutch side NEC, but returned to Anfield last May after he was sacked.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
“There was only one club in the last eight that wanted us and that was Porto,” Lijnders told The Times.
“All the others in the last eight wanted to avoid us, but Porto will love the chance to go again against us. I know it because of their mentality.
“Sergio (Conceicao) is a motivational coach and he will use that. Motivate is not the right word. It is revenge. They want to set something right.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here’s what’s coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Preston vs Leeds (Tuesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Birmingham vs Sheffield United (Wednesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Slavia Prague vs Chelsea (Thursday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Southampton vs Wolves (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Manchester United vs West Ham (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Leeds vs Sheffield Wednesday (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Wigan vs Norwich (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Crystal Palace vs Manchester City (Sunday, 2:05pm) – talkSPORT
“The attitude of Porto is: always more, always better. They love the ones who hate to lose. Many clubs are in the game because of football, but Porto is in the game for silverware. That is their reason.”
Source: SportsLatest TS