Manchester City 4-3 (agg 4-4) Tottenham: Spurs send City crashing out of Champions League in pulsating seven-goal thriller

Manchester City 4-3 (agg 4-4) Tottenham: Spurs send City crashing out of Champions League in pulsating seven-goal thriller

Raheem Sterling was denied a dramatic injury time winner as Tottenham snatched a stunning away-goals victory to end Manchester City’s quadruple quest at the Etihad Stadium.

Sterling thought he had completed a hat-trick in the dying embers of a pulsating Champions League quarter-final but VAR intervened and Spurs went through to the semi-finals despite a 4-3 defeat on the night.

Llorente scored the decisive goal as Spurs went through to the semi-finals

Sergio Aguero was adjudged to have strayed offside in the build-up, deflating City and meaning that Spurs would prevail with the score 4-4 on aggregate.

It was an incredible ending to a thrilling contest, which had seen both sides lead.

Sterling and Son Heung-min both struck twice in the first half, with Bernardo Silva’s deflected effort giving the hosts the lead.

An Aguero strike then put City in control of the tie but a bundled Fernando Llorente goal proved decisive for Spurs.

The tone for a frantic night was set as Sterling curled home his first after just four minutes. Kevin De Bruyne was twice involved in a quick break before Sterling cut inside Kieran Trippier and bent a low shot past Hugo Lloris from just inside the area.

That had the stadium rocking with the supporters who seemed to have responded to Pep Guardiola’s rallying call at their loudest.

Sterling thought he had scored the winner but his goal was disallowed

Yet they were silenced within moments as Spurs responded in stunning style with Son grabbing two quickfire goals.

City contributed to their own downfall with Aymeric Laporte twice giving the ball away. The first time he failed to cut out a Dele Alli pass into the area and Son blasted a shot underneath Ederson.

The second occasion he was further upfield but Spurs quickly broke with Christian Eriksen feeding Son and the Korean curling a superb shot into the top corner.

Remarkably just seven minutes had elapsed but within another four the score was 2-2 as City roared back with Bernardo Silva’s shot deflected in by Danny Rose.

Bernardo Silva was then involved in the move that saw City regain the lead, releasing De Bruyne with a backheel. De Bruyne then picked out Sterling unmarked at the far post with a trademark low cross and the England forward tapped home his 23rd City goal of the season.