Manchester City news: Pep Guardiola reiterates he will NOT add to his squad in January transfer window
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has reiterated that he will not be signing any new players in the January transfer window despite falling behind in the Premier League title race.
City have lost ground on rivals Tottenham and Manchester City following three defeats in four league games.
However, Guardiola insisted his side’s recent struggles, which has seen them have to make do without key midfielder Fernandinho, has done nothing to change his plans next month.
The Brazilian did not start in either match as City suffered surprise defeats to Crystal Palace and Leicester over Christmas, and is not certain to face Southampton on Sunday despite training on Saturday morning.
But asked if the lack of cover for Fernandinho could tempt him into the January market, Guardiola shook his head and said: “I think I have answered clearly two times on that issue.”
City have slipped to third place, seven points off Liverpool’s pace after three league defeats from four, but Guardiola insists there is no reason to panic.
He said: “We have belief. Why should we not believe with these players when we look what we’ve done in the last 15-16 months.
“They are absolute heroes for me. I am close to them and I will be for the rest of our period together. Nothing will change if we lose more games.
“Always we will analyse why it happened and move forward.”
Most Read In Football
Earlier in the season Guardiola’s side were tipped by some to replicate Arsene Wenger’s Invincible side from the 2003/2004 season, but a 2-0 defeat at Chelsea earlier this month ended any hope of that being replicated.
Guardiola added: “You said we were invincible and we never thought about.
“I accept the situation is a normal part of the process and if you believe I will doubt my players you are completely wrong, they are incredible.
“I never point the finger at one person, never.”
Source: SportsLatest TS