Manchester City: Shock stat will have fans fearing their Champions League hopes are over
Manchester City’s dreams of winning an unprecedented quadruple took a dent on Tuesday night as they fell to a narrow 1-0 defeat to Tottenham in their Champions League quarter-final first leg tie.
Heung-min Son’s late goal gives Spurs a vital advantage heading into the second leg against City, who saw star striker Sergio Aguero have a first-half penalty saved by Hugo Lloris.
Pep Guardiola’s men must now overturn the deficit at the Etihad Stadium on April 17, or else their hopes of winning all four competitions – the Champions League, Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup – will be over.
The former Barcelona and Bayern Munich boss is yet to take City past the last eight of the competition since being appointed manager in 2016.
The omens don’t look good for City though – who are going to have to end their miserable record against English clubs in Europe in order to advance to the semi-finals.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here’s what’s coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Birmingham vs Sheffield United (Wednesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Slavia Prague vs Chelsea (Thursday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Southampton vs Wolves (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Manchester United vs West Ham (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Leeds vs Sheffield Wednesday (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Wigan vs Norwich (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Crystal Palace vs Manchester City (Sunday, 2:05pm) – talkSPORT
MAN CITY VS ENGLISH CLUBS: 5 MATCHES, 5 DEFEATS
European Cup Winners’ Cup semi-final – 1970-1971
- First leg: Chelsea 1-0 Manchester City
- Second leg: Manchester City 0-1 Chelsea
Champions League quarter-final | 2017-18
- First leg: Liverpool 3-0 Manchester City
- Second leg: Manchester City 1-2 Liverpool
Champions League quarter-final | 2018-19
- First leg: Tottenham 1-0 Manchester City
MOST READ IN FOOTBALL
Ironically, it was another English club who ended City’s Champions League campaign last season – as Liverpool sealed a 5-1 aggregate win over Guardiola’s men.
And City will suffer the same fate if they are unable to overturn the 1-0 deficit against Mauricio Pochettino’s men next week.
Source: SportsLatest TS