Manchester United news: Mike Phelan to be offered technical director job with Michael Carrick promoted to assistant manager
Mike Phelan is set to be offered the chance to become Manchester United’s first ever technical director, according to reports.
Phelan, the former United player, has been back in the Old Trafford dugout as assistant since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was named the club’s caretaker manager, and Red Devils officials want to keep him around on a long-term basis.
However, the Daily Mail claim he will not be kept on as Solskjaer’s No2, with the 56-year-old to be offered the post of technical director – a position which has never before existed in the club’s history.
Phelan worked under Sir Alex Ferguson for over a decade, including a five-year spell as his assistant in the final stretch of Sir Alex’s reign as boss. He is well respected around Old Trafford and has supported Solskjaer throughout his rise from caretaker to permanent manager.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
Should Phelan accept the new job, it is understood Michael Carrick will be promoted to a role that effectively makes him Solskjaer’s assistant, while Kieran McKenna – who was named part of the senior coaching staff after Solskjaer’s appointment – will also get a new contract.
United enjoyed a remarkable run of form immediately after Solskjaer’s return to Old Trafford on an interim basis last December, though results have suffered a severe downturn over the past couple of months.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here’s what’s coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Aston Villa vs Millwall (Monday, 1pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Hull vs Sheffield United (Monday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Brentford vs Leeds United (Monday, 5:15pm) – talkSPORT
- Tottenham vs Brighton (Tuesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT
- Luton vs AFC Wimbledon (Tuesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sheffield United vs Ipswich (Saturday, 5:15pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Brighton vs Newcastle (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Norwich vs Blackburn (Saturday, 7:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leeds United vs Aston Villa (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Coventry vs Shrewsbury (Sunday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
They have won just two of their previous eight matches – losing the other six – to be knocked out the Champions League and find their Premier League top four hopes hanging by a thread.
Up next, the Red Devils clash with local rivals Manchester City at home, hoping to get back to winning ways ahead of this weekend’s vitally important top four clash against Chelsea.
Source: SportsLatest TS