Manchester United news: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer plans summer overhaul of Red Devils squad after Champions League exit to Barcelona
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says Manchester United face a major rebuilding job this summer and beyond as they seek to re-establish themselves among Europe’s elite.
United were outclassed at the Nou Camp as they crashed out of the Champions League at the last eight of the competition, with Barcelona’s 3-0 win on the night sealing a 4-0 aggregate triumph.
Lionel Messi’s first-half double – the first a trademark finish, the second courtesy of a blunder from David De Gea – plus Philippe Coutinho’s 61st-minute wonder goal gave a stark reminder of the difference between the two sides.
Solskjaer will now turn his attention to the battle for a top-four spot in the Premier League but the Norwegian admitted United face a ‘massive’ next few years.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here’s what’s coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Porto vs Liverpool (Wednesday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
- Napoli vs Arsenal (Thursday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sheffield United vs Nottingham Forest (Friday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leeds vs Wigan (Friday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sunderland vs Doncaster (Friday, 5:15pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Norwich vs Sheffield Wednesday (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Newcastle vs Southampton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Accrington Stanley vs Luton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Everton vs Manchester United (Sunday, 1:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Cardiff vs Liverpool (Sunday, 4pm) – talkSPORT
He said: “We did well to get here and you could see the difference between the two teams.
“We know there’s work to be done. I’ve said all along this isn’t going to change overnight and the next few years are going to be massive for us to get to the level where Barcelona and other teams are at the moment.
MOST READ IN FOOTBALL
“We have to look at ourselves, we know we have a job to do and we are getting on with it.
“We need to get the best out of each other, create an environment of world-class attitude every single day. Because we’ve got good players and I’ve got good players to work with.
“We’ve done really, really well to get to the quarters and challenge for the top four.
“So we’ve got a rebuilding job but it starts with the coaches and players, and of course one or two additions to the squad will happen in the summer.”
Source: SportsLatest TS