Manchester United vs Barcelona: Four players miss Red Devils training as Marcus Rashford begins session working alone
Four senior players did not take part in Manchester United training on the eve of their Champions League quarter-final first leg clash against Barcelona.
The Red Devils return to European action on Wednesday evening, just over a month after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side completed their remarkable comeback victory over Paris Saint-Germain in the round of 16.
However, the United manager faces a selection dilemma when Barca visit Old Trafford if Tuesday’s training was anything to go by, with Ander Herrera, Eric Bailly, Antonio Valencia and Nemanja Matic all missing the session.
Herrera, Bailly and Valencia missed United’s last match – last week’s defeat by Wolves – through injury and look set to be unavailable once again, with the trio absent from the open part of the session at the Aon Training Complex.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
Matic was an unused substitute at Wolves, but was another notable absentee on Tuesday morning.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here’s what’s coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Preston vs Leeds (Tuesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Birmingham vs Sheffield United (Wednesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Slavia Prague vs Chelsea (Thursday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Southampton vs Wolves (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Manchester United vs West Ham (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Leeds vs Sheffield Wednesday (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Wigan vs Norwich (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Crystal Palace vs Manchester City (Sunday, 2:05pm) – talkSPORT
Alexis Sanchez was back with the group after a knee injury picked up against Southampton five weeks ago, while Marcus Rashford was involved in the session after missing the trip to Molineux with an ankle complaint.
However, the 21-year-old’s fitness is unclear after starting the session doing individual work before joining in with the main warm-up.
Youngsters like Tahith Chong and Mason Greenwood trained separately from the main group.
Source: SportsLatest TS