Motherwell 0-3 Rangers: Scott Arfield scores first ever career hat-trick to help Steven Gerrard’s men claim easy win

Motherwell 0-3 Rangers: Scott Arfield scores first ever career hat-trick to help Steven Gerrard’s men claim easy win

Scott Arfield was the star of the show, grabbing his first career hat-trick, as Rangers beat Motherwell 3-0 at Fir Park.

The midfielder profited from some poor defending from the home side, scoring twice before half-time to move into double figures for the season.

Rangers were deserved winners at Fir Park

And the former Falkirk, Huddersfield and Burnley man added number 11 on 60 minutes to claim his first-ever match ball as Rangers – who had boss Steven Gerrard confined to a seat in the stand – continued their post-Old Firm revival with their second three-goal win since last Sunday’s derby defeat at Celtic Park.

While they now trail the champions-elect by 11 points, Stephen Robinson’s rejuvenated Well passed up the chance to record a sixth straight home win for the first time in 44 years after playing a central role in their own downfall with some shocking stuff at the back.

Meanwhile, there were more shameful scenes to add to Scotland’s season of controversy when referee Nick Walsh had to briefly stop the first-half action to ask stewards and police to surround a group of Well fans after a lighter was hurled at Rangers captain James Tavernier.

The game was briefly stopped after the lighter was thrown at Tavernier

It was hardly an action-packed opening but Motherwell certainly edged the early exchanges.

Jake Hastie headed wide from Richard Tait’s cross while Tom Aldred came closer only to see his attempt drift beyond the far post.

Without suspended top scorer Alfredo Morelos, Rangers looked short on a focal point.

But out of nowhere they grabbed the opener as Motherwell self-destructed on 22 minutes.

Daniel Candeias’ ball into Morelos’ replacement Jermain Defoe should never have made it through to the Englishman. But having been allowed to dribble into his feet, matters were compounded when Aldred got his feet in a muddle as he tried to cut out Defoe’s through-ball to Arfield and only succeeded in nudging it into the Rangers midfielder’s path.

Arfield opened the scoring midway through the first-half

Arfield could not believe his luck as he fired past Mark Gillespie.

The calamitous defending continued on 39 minutes as Well gifted the visitors a second goal. Charles Dunne should have fired the ball down the line but instead gave it to David Turnbull even though he was being closely marked by Candeias.

The winger was in like a flash to steal the ball and shift it to Ryan Jack, who teed up Arfield to net with the coolest of finishes.