Moussa Sissoko didn’t realise Tottenham had beaten Manchester City because he stormed down the tunnel after Raheem Sterling goal
Moussa Sissoko had no idea Tottenham had beaten Manchester City until a member of the Spurs coaching staff found him in the dressing room and revealed Raheem Sterling’s goal was disallowed.
After a Champions League clash for the ages, Spurs advanced to the semi-finals on away goals after City’s thrilling 4-3 victory meant the tie finished 4-4 on aggregate.
Sterling appeared to break Tottenham hearts in stoppage time, only for the goal to be disallowed following a VAR review.
But Sissoko, who was substituted due to injury at half-time, was so devastated when Sterling scored he immediately headed for the dressing room – and therefore didn’t know the goal had been chalked off.
“I was on the bench when I saw the goal that made it 5-3,” Sissoko told French sports newspaper L’Equipe.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
“I was so upset that I returned directly to the dressing room.
“I was alone, no one had accompanied me, no TV screen was broadcasting the game. In my head we were eliminated.
“Then one of the staff members entered the dressing room and told me: ‘Incredible, we did it!’.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here’s what’s coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Napoli vs Arsenal (Thursday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sheffield United vs Nottingham Forest (Friday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leeds vs Wigan (Friday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sunderland vs Doncaster (Friday, 5:15pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Norwich vs Sheffield Wednesday (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Newcastle vs Southampton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Accrington Stanley vs Luton (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Everton vs Manchester United (Sunday, 1:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Cardiff vs Liverpool (Sunday, 4pm) – talkSPORT
“I said: ‘How did we do it?’ At that moment, he told me that the goal had been disallowed.
“So I put on a t-shirt, I forgot about my injury and I ran outside to join the others, not to miss the celebrations for such an historic moment.
“It was an incredible, emotional shock.”
Sissoko suffered a groin injury during the quarter-final clash and Tottenham are assessing him ahead of their return to the Etihad in the Premier League on Saturday.
Source: SportsLatest TS