New Tottenham stadium has made a huge difference to the club, says Ledley King
Tottenham hero Ledley King believes the club have been lifted by their new stadium.
The £1billion arena has been ranked among the best football grounds in the world – and King believes it has inspired the Spurs players.
“Wembley is a fantastic stadium, but having played there for the last two years, there’s no doubt that playing at home makes a difference, especially on these big European nights,” the former defender told talkSPORT 2.
“The crowd were the twelfth man. What’s fantastic about the stadium is the compactness of it. You can really feel it. You feel close to the pitch in a similar way to White Hart Lane.
“It definitely makes a difference. The players can already feel the difference that this new stadium is making for them.
“It’s been built to accommodate the players, to feel at home in a similar way to White Hart Lane. And I think they have felt at home.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
“When the fans are behind you at home, you can be a tough team to beat and we’re proving that at the moment.”
King, who was forced into an early retirement by chronic knee problems, remains a popular figure in north London and his name continues to ring around the new stadium.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here’s what’s coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Birmingham vs Sheffield United (Wednesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Slavia Prague vs Chelsea (Thursday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Southampton vs Wolves (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Manchester United vs West Ham (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Leeds vs Sheffield Wednesday (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Wigan vs Norwich (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Crystal Palace vs Manchester City (Sunday, 2:05pm) – talkSPORT
“Since I’ve retired, I constantly keep hearing the song. When I was on the pitch, it just gave me a little boost,” he added.
“But when you’re walking around the stadium, or you’re sitting there and the crowd sing your name, it’s humbling.”
Source: Prem News