Robbie Fowler: Liverpool legend to be appointed Brisbane Roar manager
Robbie Fowler is set to take on his first full-time coaching role with the Liverpool legend to be appointed Brisbane Roar manager.
Fowler, known as ‘God’ to the Anfield faithful, has been out of the game since 2012, when he retired as a player and left his role as player-manager of Muangthong United.
He spent a year in the joint role with the Thai club, and is now due to become a full-time coach for the first time as Brisbane Roar have chosen the 44-year-old as their new manager.
The Sydney Morning Herald claim Fowler will be unveiled as the Roar’s boss on Tuesday, ahead of their final match of the A-League season against Adelaide United.
Fowler will begin work at the start of the new season, with Darren Davies, Brisbane’s caretaker manager, overseeing the final game of this campaign.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
Davies is expected to remain on Brisbane’s coaching staff under Fowler, likely as an assistant coach.
Fowler’s appointment ends Brisbane’s four-month search for a permanent successor to John Aloisi, who resigned as manager last December after just one win in the previous nine matches.
Fowler is no stranger to the A-League.
The former England international spent two seasons playing in Australia’s top division, representing North Queensland Fury in 2009/10 before joining Perth Glory for the following campaign.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here’s what’s coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Aston Villa vs Millwall (Monday, 1pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Hull vs Sheffield United (Monday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Brentford vs Leeds United (Monday, 5:15pm) – talkSPORT
- Tottenham vs Brighton (Tuesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT
- Luton vs AFC Wimbledon (Tuesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Sheffield United vs Ipswich (Saturday, 5:15pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Brighton vs Newcastle (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Norwich vs Blackburn (Saturday, 7:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Leeds United vs Aston Villa (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Coventry vs Shrewsbury (Sunday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
His lengthy club career began at Liverpool – where he remains a club icon – with Fowler returning to Anfield in 2006 after time with Leeds United and Manchester City.
He also played for Cardiff and Blackburn before leaving English football for good in 2009 to test himself in Australia.
Source: SportsLatest TS