Tottenham news: Spurs must look to kill off Manchester City in second leg, insists former boss Harry Redknapp
Harry Redknapp has urged Tottenham to push hard for an away goal in their second leg against Manchester City – rather than sit back and protect their one-goal advantage.
Spurs travel to the Etihad with a slender lead after last night’s 1-0 victory, in which they crucially stopped City from registering an away goal.
It means Spurs can give City a true mountain to climb by scoring at the Etihad, although they may be tempted to protect what they have.
Redknapp, the former Tottenham manager, told talkSPORT: “You look to get a goal. Don’t just sit back and hang on.
“If Tottenham can score then City have an uphill climb, so I make Tottenham slight favourites at the moment, even without Harry Kane.
“They’ll be dangerous on the break knowing that one goal makes it difficult for Man City. They’re in good shape.
“I’d be very happy if I was [Mauricio] Pochettino this morning.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
“It’s a great advantage to go there with no away goals against.
“They’ve got a big chance now.”
The victory came at a price as Kane limped off with yet another ankle injury.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here’s what’s coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2…
- Birmingham vs Sheffield United (Wednesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Slavia Prague vs Chelsea (Thursday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Southampton vs Wolves (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Manchester United vs West Ham (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Leeds vs Sheffield Wednesday (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Wigan vs Norwich (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Crystal Palace vs Manchester City (Sunday, 2:05pm) – talkSPORT
The England captain looks likely to miss the second leg after Pochettino suggestion he could be out for the rest of the season.
“It’s a big loss, he’s different class,” Redknapp added.
“So that’s a blow. But they’ll still be strong.”
Source: SportsLatest TS