Tyson Fury wins prestigious Ring Magazine ‘Comeback of the Year’ and ‘Round of the Year’ awards after sensational 2018 return
Tyson Fury has won two of Ring Magazine’s prestigious end of year awards for 2018.
The ‘Gypsy King’ received the accolade of ‘Comeback of the Year’ and shared ‘Round of the Year’ with Deontay Wilder after their thrilling final session on December 1.
The 30-year-old heavyweight returned from a two and a half year layoff in June and beat Sefer Seferi and Francesco Pianeta, before challenging Wilder for the WBC world title.
Unfortunately for Fury, the Wilder bout was scored a draw – many felt the Brit won – but it was what happened in the fight which has attracted attention to his cause.
Tyson has been campaigning for mental health awareness throughout the year following his own troubles in 2016/2017, and showed in the final round of the Wilder fight that it’s possible to come back from anything.
The American champion smashed his challenger to the ground with a right hand, left hook combination that seemed to have put him out cold, however the ‘Gypsy King’ then miraculously rose to his feet again and continued to fight.
Latest Boxing News
The full list of Ring Magazine 2018 award winners is as follows:
- Fighter of the Year – Oleksandr Usyk
- Fight of the Year – Canelo vs GGG
- Knockout of the Year – Inoue KO1 Payano
- Trainer of the Year – Anatoly Lomachenko
- Upset of the Year – Rosales KO9 Higa
- Comeback of the Year – Tyson Fury
- Event of the Year – HBO Leaves Boxing
- Round of the Year – Wilder vs Fury R12
- Prospect of the Year – Teofimo Lopez
- Most Inspirational – Brendan Ingle
Source: SportsLatest TS